Over the past few months, I have been working on the design of my parents kitchen. They recently moved from Houston to Dallas and “hired” me as their interior designer. I was so excited to be working on this project because it was my first experience as a full fledged interior designer. Yes, I do interior design jobs on the side, but I don’t really consider myself a full time interior designer. I don’t have a degree in the field and my full time job is actually as a graphic designer and web developer. So needless to say, getting to work on such a large project has been such a gratifying experience for me. I can only hope that this can be a career for me one day:)
I have also been designing the rest of their 1st floor, but those reveal posts will be coming over the next few months. We were mainly focused on finishing the kitchen and that’s where all our attention was directed to. Now that the kitchen is finished, we will move our focus to the living room, dining room, piano room and entry way. There is also a little nook in the kitchen where the kitchen table sits (not shown in these photos). I am about 95% finished with that area, but not done enough to photograph. That will be my next reveal post!
Ok moving on to the kitchen reveal! Here is the before…
And here is the after!
The plan was to really make the space as light and bright as we possibly could. Here are some of the main design changes you might notice:
- Ripped out tile and replaced the entire 1st floor with dark hand scraped hardwood floor.
- Re-paint the cabinets a bright white. We also had to re-paint all the trim and doors in the area.
- Rip out the backsplash and replace with white ceramic subway tile.
- Replace the granite tiles on countertop with solid granite slabs.
- Replace all hardware throughout the kitchen with oil rubbed bronze hardware.
- Re-Paint the walls with Sherwin Williams Rice Grain.
- Take out pot rack above the island and replace with pendant lighting.
- Re-locate the island about 6 inches toward the sink.
- Add recessed lighting throughout.
- New sink and faucet.
- Re-locate stovetop to island.
- Add bead board to the buffet sitting area.
This was my mood board for the space before the construction began:
Some things changed of course, but my overall concept remained; crisp, clean, light and bright!
Some of my Instagram Faves:
Ok, now for the fun part… Below are the photos of the final product. I hope you like the space:) My parents and I are SO happy with how everything turned out. I’m really glad they trusted me with such a big and important project. Thanks Mom and Dad!!
And again, the “before” and “afters”…
:: LINK LOVE ::
Give Me The Goods // Mod Vintage Life // Sunday Showcase Party // Coastal Charm
Cozy Little House // Remodelaholic // Knick of Time // Elizabeth & Co.
Winthrop Chronicles // House on the Way // Kammy’s Korner
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia // The Scoop // A Stroll Thru Life
DIY Dreamer // Inspiration Exchange // Homework Wednesday // Someday Crafts
Designer in Teal // Wife in Progress // Made in a Day // Moonlight and Mason Jars
Inspire Me Please // Whipperberry // Making Home Base // Nifty Thrifty Sunday
Suburbs Mama // Twigg Studios // Homemaker on a Dime