Since birth I have suffered from dry skin. I actually have eczema, but I have learned to maintain it pretty well as an adult. I always carry lotion with me and also use body lotion every night after I shower. I typically use Jergens body lotion, but lately I’ve been hearing so many good things about coconut oil as a daily lotion. I tried it, but didn’t really like the smell. And it seemed to leave me REALLY oily.
So I got to thinking… why not just make my own lotion recipe?? I love the idea of using coconut oil as a lotion, but I needed to do something about the oily residue and unflattering smell. Don’t get me wrong, I love the smell of coconut, but if you’ve ever smelled coconut OIL, it’s a bit different. Something is just a little off and I really don’t like it. Anyways, by using body lotion as a base and lavender essential oils as the added fragrance, both of my problems were solved! Lavender is also really good for your skin as well, so this recipe is pretty much a trifecta of wonderful skin products all in one. I also added a hint of the stress relief oil as well just to “de-stress” me after those long days;)
This lotion is really meant to be used as a body lotion, but I also use it as a hand cream and love it! Coconut oil is good for just about everything, so you really can’t go wrong!
- 1 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 cups fragrance free body lotion (I used Jergens Ultra Healing)
- 1 teaspoon Lavender Essential Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Anxiety Release Essential Oil
- Measure out 1 cup of coconut oil and melt the oil for about 30 seconds
- While oil is still in its melted form, mix in 2 cups of your body lotion and whip until smooth
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of your lavender essential oil and 1/2 teaspoon of your anxiety release oil
- Whip mixture until completely smooth & pour into your lotion container
The lotion container was found at Target in the bathroom isle near the soap dispensers and toothbrush holders. I’m sure it’s meant to be used for cotton swabs, but it was the perfect width and height for a lotion container for everyday use. And it also kind of reminded me of Pottery Barn a bit! Don’t you think?
I am so excited to start using my new lotion! I have always heard how good coconut oil is for your skin, but I never really loved the smell, so this new recipe is the PERFECT solution. With a slight hint of lavender, I could use this lotion all day long!